Friday, July 24, 2009

10k w/ updates

For those of you dying to know, I ran the 10k in 1:04:32. I'll fill in more details later. I'm off to take a nap! ...

Okay, now that I'm rested and sore, I can tell you all about the race.

Race starts at approx. 6:30. Tiffany (my sister) and I wait until the massive crowd is past the starting line & then reset my Garmin. Her Garmin battery died before the race...but I just think it was a blessing to me, since she had to stick with me to know how she was doing!

Mile 1 & 2--I had a good start. We took a walk break at around mile 2.7 for 1 1/2 minutes. Tiff doesn't normally need walk breaks on a 10k, but she humored me.

Mile 3--I felt good & we were going at a good pace.

Mile 4--This one was hard for me. Right after we hit the 4th mile, I abruptly had some acid reflux and it kept me coughing for a bit, which stopped me from running. I was still able to walk, but I think my body needed to slow down. We walked this time for 1 minute.

Mile 5--I was doing okay, knowing that we were getting nearer. We took our last walk break right at mile 5 for about 35 seconds (are you loving my Garmin yet? I am!) Tiff was so anxious to beat her 1:06 time that she thought we walked for much longer. :)

Mile 6 to finish--The last 1/2 mile I was toast. Tiff decided to run faster. She wasn't much ahead of me, but it was hard. We passed our hubbys and kids. I slapped Sydney and my brother, Alan's, hands as I jogged by. Nice to have a little cheering squad. :) Once I got past the last corner, the finish line didn't seem so far away. I ended up running faster to get to it. Since we kept track of our time on the Garmin, we didn't pay much attention to the race clock. Tiffany finished 21 seconds faster than me at 1:04:11. We averaged a 10:33 minute mile--really good for me!

After we got past the finish, they immediately turned us around and said to "get in line." Being my first race, I had no idea what they meant & there were huge crowds...I couldn't see a line anywhere. They handed me water and I met up with my family, who had missed me crossing the finish line because of the crowds. Turns out the "line" was so that they could record our finish times. Oh, well!

Now on to training for a half-marathon...although I'm glad to have a few days to rest before my next run. The thought of it is quite overwhelming right now. I'll post some pictures when I get them emailed to me from Randy's phone and from Tiff.

5 comments:

Janell said...

Nice Keri!! I'm anxious to hear all the details. Way to go :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks Keri you were a great partner, I wish I would push myself harder. It is amazing to run 1 1/2 minutes faster per mile. If I had done what you did I think I would be dead!!! Super Great Job, I am so proud of you, me too but more you!!Love ya.

ollie said...

What's this garmin thing you're talking about? It sounds really cool! anyway, congrats on the run and I can't wait to see the pictures!

Vanessa said...

Wow! You guys are awesome! I admire both of you!

Gasaway Family said...

Yeah! I meant to ask you yesterday when I saw you how it went. Glad it went so well. Good luck with the next training, sorry I couldn't get out of bed this morning to run!