Sunday, April 20, 2008

Reducing & Eliminating Sweets

Lately, as I make healthy choices, I've thought about sharing them. My daily food diary doesn't necessarily show some of the smaller choices I make. I will try to post some little tips from time to time. If you've got a question, ask me & I'll try to share with you...just know that I am neither an expert, nor am I perfect--obviously!

So Radene, this one is for you.--My tip for sweets? GET THEM OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! It's so hard, but the one time I was successful at losing weight a few years ago, I did exactly that. I went through my cupboards and got rid of anything that I shouldn't be eating. Zonya recommends replacing your refined sugar sweet tooth with a sweet tooth for fruit. How wonderful would that be?

While I'm on it, I want to quickly address artificial sweeteners. I get most of my information from Dr. Phil and Zonya. Dr. Phil is all for artificial sweeteners, while Zonya shies away from them. Going artificial does reduce calories, but it won't eliminate your sweet tooth. In fact, I find yogurt with artificial sweeteners to be too sweet. So on this one, I don't have a definitive answer for myself. This one's up to you. Do what you feel is right and what you feel comfortable with. If you're curious, I do have a nearly empty bag of Splenda in my pantry. I bought it 3 years ago. The only thing (that I can think of) that I purposely buy sugar-free is my maple syrup. I guess I just can't get over the difference in the calories.

Okay, I think I'm going to have fun with these tips. As I type I can think of so many little tidbits I can share. Let me know if you enjoy them. I also welcome your thoughts, insight, and opinions!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

So I found that as I eat less sweets, I want less sweets. So if I can get myself to stop sweets for like two weeks, when that is over, they won't sound as good. And I need to dump all the crap at my house right now. Oh well! I'm just not a tosser, I should be though.